Books For the Dad Who...
Book are always a good idea and a great gift, but there is never a "one size fits all" book for any group of people, and we didn't want to take that approach with this Father's Day gift guide. Instead, we asked around and gathered up some favorites into a few different categories so you can decide what best fits the dad or loved one you're celebrating this Father's Day!
So here are our picks for the dad who...
Is a History Buff
A Team of Rivals | Doris Kearns Goodwin- One of the most beloved books about Abraham, Lincoln and his administration; everyone I know who has read this has absolutely raved about it.
- Devil in the White City | Erik Larson- The true story of a charming but brutal serial killer alongside the drama of building a World's Fair, plus it's littered with famous names.
- Ordinary Heroes | Scott Turow- An historical mystery that has a man on a hunt to learn about his father who served in WW2 and left behind mysterious wartime letters.
Dreams of the Open Ocean
- Treasure Island | Robert Louis Stevenson- A swashbuckling, rum-fueled adventure to an island in search of buried treasure. A total classic!
- Master and Commander | Patrick O'Brien- A high seas adventure pitting Napoleon against the British Navy and Spanish Armada with memorable characters and plenty of historical detail.
- Maiden Voyage | Tania Aebi- an adrift 18 year old, Tania's father gave her a choice: college or a boat to sail around the world by herself. Guess which one she chose?
- Crime and Punishment | Fyodor Dostoyevsky- This is one of my dad's favorites, actually, and he said it forever changed how he thought about capital punishment.
- The Three Musketeers | Alexandre Dumas- A super fun adventure thriller rife with violence, romance, plot twists, an excellent female villain, dastardly politicians, camaraderie and general mayhem, all with some good old fashioned sword fighting.
- The Once and Future King | T. H. White- A defining version of the Arthurian Legend, dive in to hang out in Camelot with Merlyn, Arthur, Lancelot, Guenever and the rest in this most timeless, beloved classic.
Appreciates a Good Mystery
- The Dry | Jane Harper- A great pick if your dad wants something light and contemporary with a riveting format and dual mystery of a long dead girl and a recently murdered family.
- In Cold Blood | Truman Capote- A classic of true crime, Capote is seriously just an amazing writer as he explores a murder in a small town and the ensuing investigation and execution of the killers.
- John Corey Series | Nelson DeMille- A great suspense and crime series!
- The Godfather | Mario Puzo- A tried and true classic of thrilling American crime fiction.
Can't Wait for His Next Adventure
- A Walk In the Woods | Bill Byson- A humorous and truly interesting account of Bryson's hike of the Appalachian Trail with his high school best friend.
- The Call of the Wild | Jack London- Set in the Yukon in the late 1800's, the story follows the life of a dog who was kidnapped and forced to become a sled dog and his descent into a more primitive version of himself as he gets further and further from civilization.
- Indiana Jones series | James Rollins- A globe-trotting, fantasy action thriller that he can watch on the big screen after reading through the series.
Gets into sci-fi and fantasy
- The Lord of the Rings | J. R. R. Tolkien- Find some beautiful editions of this classic trilogy, like these that I genuinely drool over.
- The Martian | Andy Weir- Relentless effort to survive in space, enough said.
- American Gods | Neil Gaiman- Fantasy with a great mythological twist and some fun mystery.
Tell us, what does your dad or loved one like to read?